from the book…Every Monday Matters 52 Way to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza.
TURN OFF YOUR TV
1. Turn off your TV today.
2. Designate certain TV-free times throughout the week to reduce viewing hours.
3. Remove TVs from bedroom, kitchen, etc.
4. Make a list of activities to do beside watching TV
5. Avoid using TV as a reward…this only increases its power.
6. Be more selective about programming
Ok, nothing like starting right off with a big time-waster already! I do try to have the TV off especially during the day when NOTHING is on anyway. I play music or just enjoy the quiet. We try to have the TV off during meal time, but need to do better about adding more times to just shut it off! I don’t have a TV in my kitchen, but I do in my bedroom. I know that my husband won’t allow that to be removed…that is a battle I just won’t win and am not willing to fight. But, non of the kids have TVs in their room. I don’t use TV as a reward and I have been much more selective in my programming. I try not to just sit and stare at the TV just because it is on. So, I am working on it and I am hoping to notice a difference in my kids TV viewing as well!