Taken from the book Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways To Make A Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza
RESPECT THE DISABLED
-54 million or more people ages 5 and older have a non-institutionalizing disability.
-25 million disabled are of an employable age.
-78% want to be employed, but only 33% have a job.
-Disabilities are more often caused by accidents, illnesses, or late-emerging effects of genetics than by congenital disorders.
-Not all severe disabilities can be detected by the human eye.
-Over 15% of the cars parked in a handicapped parking space are parked illegally.
1. Show respect to the disabled today.
2. Don't park in a handicapped parking space or use handicapped plates or placards illegally. Designated parking for the handicapped is a necessity.
3. Don't use handicapped bathroom stalls unless you're handicapped. A handicapped person's need to use the restroom may be just as urgent as yours, and the handicapped one is the only one they are able to use.
4. When you see a handicapped license plate, slow down and show consideration rather than tailgating or honking.
5. Open a door, roll a wheelchair up or down an incline, carry shopping bags, or offer an arm in challenging weather conditions or on uneven walkways.
The majority of people with disabilities want to be totally integrated into all aspects of society. No one plans to get a disability, it just happens, every day to someone. One day it could be you. With more awareness, respect and helpfulness, you can make someone's life a little bit easier.