Taken from the book Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make A Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza.
Change Your Lightbulbs!
-75% less energy is used with an ENERGY STAR labeled compact fluorescent lightbulb (CFL) compared to a standard incandescent bulb (regular lightbulb).
-CFLs last up to 10x longer and save $30 over the life of the bulb.
-Replacing 1 bulb prevents the release of 300 pounds of carbon dioxide in just 1 year.
-If every home replaces 5 frequently used lightbulbs with CFLs, close to $8 billion a year in energy costs could be saved.
1. Buy a package of CFL bulbs today.
2. Refer to the lumen or light output on the product packaging as your guide to determine correct wattage.
3. Replace at least 1 regular lightbulb with a CFL bulb. The more bulbs you change, the better it is for the environment and your wallet.
4. Place qualified CFLs in the fixtures you use most frequently.
5. Use qualified CFLs in the fixtures that are hard to reach such as ceiling fans, other ceiling fixtures, and enclosed outdoor fixtures.
6. Call your local waste management company to ask for proper disposal methods: CFL bulbs should not be thrown away in your regular garbage. Retailers also offer take-back programs.
One bulb. Will you do it? How about five?